What Is Juuling And Is It Really That Bad For Your Health?

Toby MetcalfToby Metcalf Administrator, Team BoomWriter admin

This is a fad that is gaining popularity and sadly growing larger each day. Below are selections from a very informative piece in Woman's Day

Cigarettes—not okay. But for teens, "it's 'cool' to Juul," said Jack Waxman, 17, the producer of a viral Youtube video and fundraising campaign called Juulers Against Juul.

Juuls are a type of vaporizer designed so discreetly that most people don’t even recognize them as an e-cigarette.

Not only are Juul vaporizers small enough to fit in the palm of your hand, they can be charged when plugged into a laptop’s USB slot, making it easy for students to pass them off as flash drives in class.

Between those two design elements, and the fact that the Juul pods come in flavors like crème brulee, cool cucumber, and mango, these e-cigs have become insanely popular with kids.

Jack's primary concern: that these fun-flavored pods have gotten teens across the country addicted to nicotine. His documentary-style video starts out with testimonials from kids as young as 14 detailing their experiences with Juuling.

Fourteen-year-old Margarida Ferreira said she'll leave class if she's stressed to hit the Juul. "I kind of need it. It's just a part of my life now," she told the cameras. "I know it's bad but I can't stop."

Fletcher Faden, 16, told the cameras that there have been times when he's Juuled in class, and pretty much every moment when he wasn't in class.

"Kids leaving school desperately needing pods happens a lot, and it shouldn't happen, but kids are very addicted to these e-cigarettes and need the stuff to be satisfied," said 15-year-old Jack Solomon.

https://youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=7EsNG7RcStQ

Many people use e-cigarettes, like Juuls, because they aren’t made with tar and all the cancer-causing chemicals you'll find in a tobacco cigarette. Still, a 2018 study published in the journal Pediatrics found that teenagers who smoked e-cigarettes had higher levels of cancer-causing chemicals in their bodies than non-smokers.

“This is not a safe alternative,” says Michael Blaiss, M.D., the executive medical director of the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology. “Is it safer than a tobacco cigarette? Yes. The problem is that nicotine itself can have major effects.”

How are you keeping your students safe?
Thanks for contributing and sharing.

Best,
Toby

Tagged: