Writing Camp newbie here

Simone HeidrichSimone Heidrich Member, Teacher
edited June 8 in Writing Camps

Knowing that I could potentially have 30-50 students in a summer camp, how much time is spent per child on the feedback process during the 1:00 p.m. -3:00p.m. review period? That seems like a lot of chapters to read and give personal feedback?

For my first camp, is it possible to set a limit on how many participants? I am probably overreacting and worrying too much about the time commitment, but I want to know what I will be getting into, so that I will do a good job. :-)

Best Answers

• Ken HaynesKen Haynes ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Hi Simone - Thanks for your interest in conducting a BoomWriter Online Writing Camp, which I think you'll find to be a rather pleasant way to generate income during the summer.

Your question is a good one, as it will be difficult to provide very specific, detailed feedback for that many students. Unfortunately, the site is unable to lower the maximum number of students from the current 50. It truly is a trade-off in that more campers = less time dedicated to each one. Fortunately, the BW Camp manual does provide some PD that may prove helpful with providing effective feedback in an efficient manner. Another suggestion may be to focus on one or two aspects of writing (e.g. choosing the 'just right' word) or perhaps zero in on one part to compliment and one part that can be improved.

Again, these are simply a couple of suggestions that I hope prove helpful. Please keep us informed of how your camp registration goes and if we can be of further assistance.

• Toby MetcalfToby Metcalf admin
    Accepted Answer

Thanks for asking this @Simone Heidrich - I will look into this and reply.
    Toby

Answers

• Toby MetcalfToby Metcalf Administrator, Team BoomWriter admin

Hi @Simone Heidrich
    Thank you so much for asking your question as well as accepting @Ken Haynes answer as it makes the knowledge easier for others to find. Have a wonderful day.
    Best,
    Toby

• Jerri O'BrienJerri O'Brien Member, Teacher, Parent

The largest group that I have had is 14 campers. I usually give feedback face to face as they are working or when they submit it to me for revisions. You can actually see what they are typing during the process, so you can go ahead and start talking with the students ahead of time. This works for me because my campers are in the room with me. You can also provide feedback at the end of the day when they are done, extending the time till later for voting. There are days that we voted later than usual or earlier based on how much work they got done. To help with editing, I use a site called Grammarly. The students use it as well to help clean up spelling and punctuation. This helps out a lot!

Hope this helps.

Jerri O'Brien

• Simone HeidrichSimone Heidrich Member, Teacher

Great suggestions and tips everyone. Much appreciated. I am wondering:

1. I have created a camp and am curious when it will show up in the "List of Camps"?

2. The downloadable flyer is not yet personalized with my specific link.

• Toby MetcalfToby Metcalf Administrator, Team BoomWriter admin

Hi @Simone Heidrich
    A Pro subscription is needed to be in the market place listed with the camps.
    You may give Pro a try for a month for free and we will list you in the marketplace.
    I will need to do a bit more homework regarding the flyer; my apologies.
    Best,
    Toby